Farol da Barra is the largest lighthouse in Portugal. It is located in Praia da Barra, parish of Gafanha da Nazaré, municipality of Ílhavo, district of Aveiro.
It was, at the time of its construction, the sixth largest in the world in stone masonry, and currently remains the second largest in the Iberian Peninsula, being included in the 26 largest in the world.
It is a truncated cone tower with white and red stripes and outbuildings.
The Museum of Aveiro is housed in the former Convento de Jesus of the Dominican Female Order. This convent, one of the oldest in Aveiro, dates back to the 2nd half of the century. XV, founded by D. Brites Leitão and D. Mécia Pereira.
Princess Joana, daughter of Alfonso V, enters this house in 1472. Here she leads a life of sanctity, which leads to her beatification in 1693. The prestige of the convent was thus definitively associated with the presence of Princess Santa Joan and her religious worship.
The Cathedral of Aveiro is located in the former Dominican convent, known for having been the first religious community to settle in the city. The church immediately draws attention for its superb façade, with its images of Human Virtues and the imposing bell tower. In the interior, the white limestone dominates, the various chapels are decorated with sets of carvings, stone and tiles from different periods.